Friday, March 5, 2010

Why Did I Create This Blog?

So why I did create this Search and Study blog? Well, I suppose it just sort of naturally followed after so many years of studying the scriptures and all the many personal Bible study projects I have worked on. I needed a way to consolidate these projects into a central place where I can store for reference, reflect, share and grow my hunger and ongoing quest to learn about the Bible. In this ancient text we learn about the amazing God of the Universe who left us a meticulous record of his past acts, insight into his current mind, and amazing glimpses into the future of mankind.

Why "Search and Study"? Well, It seems these two words best exemplify the path to understanding. Obviously there is much to be gained by simply reading the scriptures, but it has become abundantly clear to me that a true grasp of the truths reveals in the scriptures only come from diligent exploration (searching) and analysis (study). I believe God has very purposefully compressed huge stores of information about Him, about the universe, about His plan for humanity, etc. deep into the text of the scriptures which can only be "decrypted" by careful examination, cross referencing, and extrapolation of the data provided by the text.

I'm struck by one of my favorite passages in the new testament where, Jesus after being resurrected, is walking along the road to Emmaus from Jerusalem with a couple of believers. These believers were very down and discouraged because of the death of Jesus Christ who they had followed and "had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel (Luke 24:21)." They didn't fully understand what had happened. Then we are told that Jesus begins to talk with them and to open up their understanding as they make their journey from Jerusalem to their home in Emmaus. Jesus does this by revisiting what had already been given to that generation in the form of the ancient scriptures (Old Testament writings with which they would have already been familiar) "beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself (Luke 24:27)". This must have been more than just reciting the text. I believe this was a meticulous exploration of bits and pieces of information being pulled together to reveal deep truths which were embedded into the text well over a thousand of years earlier.

We first see this exploratory teaching from Jesus at the age of 12 when He is found in the temple participating in an impromptu study of the scriptures "sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions (Luke 2:46)". We are then told that "all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers (Luke 2:47)". I believe this is the first of many lessons in careful examination of the scriptures that Jesus gives both in public places and in private with his closest followers. The real lesson is -- don't just read the text, recite the words in song, etc., but "search the scriptures (John 5:39)". Indeed, study as one would study a course in physics or advanced mathematics. So much of the great truths can only be extracted by diligent exploration and prayer.

Honestly, I have no idea what will become of this blog, but it is nice to have a place to store all of my stuff (study notes, ideas, thoughts, Bible related projects, etc.). As this is my first posting I am still unclear as to what format to use and I guess that will develop over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment